Thursday, October 18, 2012

| autumn sweet rolls. |


 
I confess that I haven't been baking much lately. The weather has been absolutely beautiful lately, a far cry from the rain and wind we had earlier this week. Actually, speaking of the weather, we have officially had our first snow of the winter of '12/13. Last week was freezing, and leaves and snow were falling at the same time. Very interesting to watch. Unfortunately I didn't get the camera out in time to get any pictures. But it was neat. For those who don't know me or my family personally, we live at an elevation of fifteen hundred feet two hours south of Canada, so we usually have our first good snow (a foot, the last couple years) before Thanksgiving. Actually one year we had it the last week of October. Dad isn't a big fan of that, but the rest of us are fine with it.
Anyway, this afternoon I found a can of pumpkin that needed to be used up, so I made these rolls with it.:) The glaze on them looks a little messy ~ I had some help from a twelve-year-old brother who usually "hangs around" when I am in the kitchen, either to chaperone the production of his next meal or to snitch when my back is turned, if it is something sweet.
Well, here is the recipe:
 

Pumpkin Sweet Rolls

1 tablespoon yeast
1 1/4 cups warm milk
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, divided
1 teaspoon salt
7 1/4 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnomon
1cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vinilla
 
In a large bowl dissolve yeast in milk warmed to 110 to 115 degrees. Add pumpkin, sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt, and 4-3/4 cups flour, beat until smooth. Continue adding  flour until the batter reaches a kneadable consistency. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll into a 24 by 10 inch square. Combine 1 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnomon, and remaining 1/4 cup melted butter, set aside one cup. Sprinkle remaining mixture over dough, press down slightly, and roll up jelly roll style. Cut into 24 slices. Place cut side down in 2 greased 13 x 9 pans. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for twenty to twenty-five minutes, or until golden. Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vinilla, drizzle over rolls.
Makes 2 dozen rolls. Or of course if your family is like ours, 2 dozen until the boys find them, then it would most likely be 0.
This recipe comes from the Gooseberry Patch cookbook Homemade Harvest , which has a lot of great recipes in it.
 






                   Who needs those things they sell in Walmart? I have my own heating pad. :)





 


Photobucket



19 comments:

  1. Yummm!! Those look absolutely scrumptious! My mom and I have recently been in the homemade cinnamon roll craze, and have been enjoying it so we should definitely try this recipe. :) I also love that picture of you and your dog. I have a Husky/lab mix who is, obviously, too big to curl around my shoulders but rather likes to plop himself down on my feet and keep them warm. Aren't dogs wonderful? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are permanant cinnamon roll addicts.:) Seems like lots of families are.
      Oh, and I absolutely adore dogs, of any breed.:) The one curled around my shoulders is our two older ones' youngest puppy.:) She is so sweet! Your dog sounds so pretty, too. I have always loves huskies and labs both.:)
      Thank you for the sweet comment.:)

      Delete
  2. Those do look good! This time of year really makes you want pumpkin and apple. Love the picture of your "neck warmer" :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Mrs. A.! I have been reading your posts lately and enjoying them very much.:) All the apple things you all have been making look delicious, too!

      Delete
  3. Yum!!! I'll have to try these:) The picture of you with the puppy is adorable! What kind of dog is it? I used to have a papillion/maltese mix...so much fun:) Paste the following link into your web browser for some laughter over what he looked like once we shaved him. Quite amusing... :D

    http://calledtomakethedifference.blogspot.com/2012/04/for-your-amusement.html

    Thanks for posting; I always love hearing from you:) Have a blessed night, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out.:) I almost posted a few pics of her being groomed, she looked quite distraught in a few of them.:) She is a Bichon Frise.
      Thank you for the sweet comment.:)

      Delete
  4. LOVE the heating pad! That is soooo hilarious! :D My laptop heats my lap, so maybe I could get the cat to warm my neck! :) Cats are so snobbish (dunno if that's a real word, lol) but I might be able to talk Cookie into doing it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah,
    Your rolls look so delicious and pretty too. :) Your blog is always so pretty and fun to read. I really enjoy hearing what you all are up to. ;)~Mrs R

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure if my last comment went through or not? Your rolls looked so nice. :) Pumpkin is so good in things this time of year. :)
    If I left a comment twice. Sorry about that. We call it pregnancy brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem.:) Thank you for the sweet comment! I always enjoy reading yours and Salinn's blogs too so much.:)

      Delete
  7. I tried these sweet rolls today. They were pretty good only yours look a lot better then mine. I like that picture of you and your dog. She is so cute.:) Have a goodnight. ~Salinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I picked the best looking ones for the picture.:) I am quite sure that yours must have been yummy!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...seems to me that men will eat just about anything with sugar in it! Even if it's overly sweet:)

      Delete
  8. And the dog has a heated mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hannah,
    Those rolls look good.Hopefully I can try them out some time soon.Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delightful! I think I will plan on making them soon :)

    http://hopefulforhomemaking.blogspot.com

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! By the way, I checked out your blog and it was delightful:)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Bits of Simplicity:) Please feel free to leave a comment... I am always delighted to hear from anyone! Only please keep "your speech with grace." Thank you again for visiting!
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡