Wednesday, June 4, 2014

| grace enough. |






As I sat and scribbled (well, typed) this into the draft folder, I could smell several fresh loaves of oatmeal bread cooling on the kitchen table, hear the hum of Mama's Bernina as she created a new jumper for Esther Joy, and the drone of the tractor down by the barn as the men pampered it with grease, gas and whatnot. The sun was shining, and the world was good.
Or rather, it ought to have been.
My heart was feeling rather queasy that week. Usually an adjective used to describe one's stomach, but I'm going to use it to describe my heart. It's been a timeworn struggle for me, and one that a spell on my knees doesn't always remedy. (My fault, certainly not God's.)
Sometimes I look at this world with its profusion of beauty, as well as its tattered, neglected needs, and I ask the Father, rather selfishly, what corner He had in mind when He gave me a life and a soul to call my own. What unoccupied gap did He design for me to fill? When He watches the sparrows fall, does He remember me?
Thoughts are dangerous things. They can trap and twist and spin a web of self-pity around one's heart without one even realizing it.
And thoughts swirling around the subject of "me, myself, and I" are so adept at weaving such a snare. Capable of pitying and pampering every carnal proclivity within us, yet so subtle with their petting.
Self-absorption. The craftiest enemy of every stay-at-home daughter. Within the confines of these four walls, waiting for our calling to fall into our laps, how easy a matter it is to lose our verve and vision within the sticky comforts of single daughterhood.
Or, perhaps an even more treacherous picture, a case of unhappiness because of the workload we balance day after day, without the kind of thanks our flesh convinces us we should have.
And all the while, the calling seems so distant. So uncertian.
Look for a face somewhere in the crowd, a heart you know has seen less blessings than you have, and pray for grace to pour a little oil into their cruse. A way to soften whatever they may be facing today, without the desire for recognition.
Is it hard? For me? It's impossible. My family who knows my native selfishness can attest to the fact.
That's why we have God.
With Him, it is not impossible.
That needy heart might be closer than you (and I) think. Not out of our reach as the famished child with the flies on his lip may be. That heart may belong to our mother. Or our friend's mother. Or someone we hardly think of as more than a stranger.
It could be something so simple as changing a diaper so someone else's hands can take a rest. Or tying a pair of shoelaces for a tyke who doesn't know how. Or washing dishes you didn't dirty. Or giving a few minutes of your time to encourage someone you don't know as well as your best friend.
As daughters, let's look outside our own comfort zones for a heart craving kindness, and pray for grace enough to give it.

God will be faithful.
He promised. 





Love,




15 comments:

  1. I *so* understand, Hannah! I still have a lot to learn in this area. I really appreciate how you are able to see through these thoughts, though, and see how God sees. Too often, we young ladies get caught up in them and are never able to come to the place that you did by the end of your post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,

    What a lovely post, and so beautifully written. I remember feeling the same way at times in my life. I would wonder what God had planned for me. At times it was difficult to see because His timing was different than mine, but now looking back I can see how He guided, blessed and prepared me along the way. God always sends missions for us along life's way, though they may not be what we expect, they are always best! : )

    May the LORD continue to guide and encourage you as you serve Him!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet encouragement, Sarah!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written and so true, Hannah! Thank you for the encouragement:-). Love, Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,
    This was so true and such a good post Hannah. Sometimes the everyday can seem old no matter what stage of life we are in. You are so right there is always someone that we can "encourage" along the way. God is always faithful and He loves us so very much! So blessed to know you! You have often been a sweet encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. R.:) You have often been a very special encouragement to me and my mom as well.:)

      Delete
  5. You shine a beautiful heart, Hannah, and this post was sooo sweet to read. God continue to bless you and gently lead you in joy as you faithfully follow Him with such a yielded, honest heart.
    Miss you.
    <3 all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss your sweet family too! How is everyone doing? We would so love to meet baby Edith some time. I saw the pictures of her (finally!) on Mom's email the other day, and she is absolutely beautiful! (Granted, those were taken when she was first born, so I imagine she's changed a lot, but only gotten cuter!:) )

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this edifying post, Hannah! Sometimes, I think of all the things people "out there" need and consequently miss the fact that there are myriads of opportunities to bless others within my family, friends, or church. I like the quote you had at the end of the post - that's basically what I told the police when they asked me if I believed that there was a purpose to living. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that was a witness to them:) I agree, it's easy for anyone (I'm thinking me in this case) to lose sight of the fact that there are so many needs to be met right in front of us.
      By the way, how has your Mom been doing lately?

      Delete
    2. She has been extremely tired, but she has felt Baby moving around. :)

      Delete
  7. Great post, Hannah!! I can relate, contentment something I'm working on and praying about but God is faithful and will gives us the strength to overcome!
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    Praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Hannah! I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog! Go check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great post! It was a wonderful and encouraging reminder--

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Bits of Simplicity:) Please feel free to leave a comment... I am always delighted to hear from anyone! Only please keep "your speech with grace." Thank you again for visiting!
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡