Sunday, December 23, 2012

| laura's christmas. |

 
I hope someone still reads the Little House books.:) I have been reading them ever since I can remember, and even before I could read, I can remember wondering who the two serious-faced little girls in sunbonnets sitting in the covered wagon were. (on the cover of Little House on the Prairie)
Recently I dusted off my copies of Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, and On the Banks of Plum Creek and read them over again. I have read the whole series ( my favorites are Little Town on the Prairie and These Happy Golden Years ) but these are the ones on the family bookshelf at the present. I have always loved the simplicity of Laura's growing-up years, and the special way that she and her sisters loved each other and their parents.
Anyway, this last time that I read the first three Little House books, I couldn't help but notice how grateful Laura was, in the little log house in the woods of Wisconsin, to recieve a rag doll, a candy cane, and a pair of mittens. That seemed like pure riches to her at (I think) five years old. I get the sense that Laura was not a spoiled child, and that she was grateful for the small things that her parents gave her.
The next Christmas in the log cabin on the prairie Laura and her sister recieved for Christmas a penny, a peice of cake, a stick of candy, and a tin cup. They were not expecting anything at all because the bad weather had prevented their parents from making any trips to Independence to get them anything. But when they did get their presents, they could hardly imagine that anyone could actually get that much for Christmas. Imagine being that unspoiled. Doesn't it sound like the sweetest thing? I would love to raise my future children like that.
In the second Christmas Laura related in her book On the Banks of Plum Creek Laura's Pa had gone to town to pick up their Christmas presents (which, by the way, consisted of candy) and was caught in a blizzard on the way home. To keep himself from starving, he had to eat the candy that he had bought for his little girls' Christmas. When he later returned home and confessed this to them, Laura's response was, "Oh, Pa, I'm so glad you did!" She didn't care that she wouldn't be getting anything for Christmas this year; she was just happy and thankful that her father had returned home safely.
 
Unfortunately, in modern America, these attitudes in kids under the age of nine seem foreign and unrealistic. Isn't that sad? What if Christmas came around and we didn't have anything~ no tree, no special treats, and no gifts~ just Jesus, who is why we have Christmas anyway, and our families? I magine that for a second. Would we enjoy Christmas as much if we had just that? Kind of puts Christmas in a different perspective, doesn't it?
I have so much to be grateful for this Christmas! A wonderful family, a sweet cozy home nestled in the country, precious memories in the making, and Jesus, Who is the Reason we have a Christmas. I hope that at I can keep the same kind of attitude that Laura had at the different Christmases she wrote about in the Little House books. We do have such a wonderful Reason to be happy and thankful at Christmas and all year round, don't we?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Since you mentioned the attitude of most American kids, I'd say it's an all-season attitude. ;) Basically, since most America families neither believe in the Bible nor teach Biblical principals, it's expected that the rule "Thou shalt not covet" would be broken. Remember how Paul said (and I paraphrase 'cause I can't find the reference) "I didn't know what sin was until I read the commandments. And they said that coveting was a sin. I didn't realize that I was sinning but when I read God's word, I realized I was sinning all the time." How many times I have gone into a store and seen a little child screaming and begging for things? Thank God that we have had the privilege of growing up in Christian homes where the Bible is taught! :D
    Have you visited the Almanzo Wilder farm yet? If you love the Little House books, you'll love the farm. It's such a tiny farmhouse and lot's of barns. (Oh, and there's lots of blueberries out back) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here.:( I've seen those little kids in stores too, and although my first sympathies usually go to the parents, you have to feel sorry for the kids, too. Even if they get their way (which they usually do) they won't be happier in the long run.
      I've never been to the Almanzo Wilder farm before, but I've seen pictures before and heard a lot about it, and it'd definitely be a place I'd love to see. That, and the Little House on the Prairie replica in Kansas. (Although it'd be a little hard to get everyone to want to go out there just to see that.:))

      Delete
    2. How about a visit to the Laura Ingall's Wilder house in SD??? I want to go sometime:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog and following! I am now following yours! What a lovely blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Bits of Simplicity:) Please feel free to leave a comment... I am always delighted to hear from anyone! Only please keep "your speech with grace." Thank you again for visiting!
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡