Saturday, April 5, 2014

| scribbles of sunshine. |

 








Ah, beautiful summer. Lemonade, campfires, county fairs, fresh veggies, fishing, picnics, soccer, fireworks, thunderstorms (just for you, Matthew) and hiking. The list drifts on… while winter clutches the mountains and meadows in a polar embrace and the wind claws at the creaking conifers outside . . . to use theatrical language. J
Okay. The weather was undeniably that dreadful back in January, and we held our breaths, crossed our fingers, and hoped for milder days come March 20th, or whatever calendar date it was that spring technically began. Now it’s April, and lo and behold, two and a half feet of snow still hide the ground and we haven’t spotted so much as a robin yet. Correction—when I scratched this down in the draft folder, we hadn’t seen a robin yet. This morning a plump and exuberant flock of North-returning robins visited our yard, apparently undisturbed by all the “white stuff” hiding all of the earthworms.But daffodils and pussy willows? Bare ground? I wish. Reckon that’s the north country for y’all. J
To pamper our cravings for sunscreen and flip flops, we tried to think of everything we love the most about our favorite season. I guess, given that we live in the far north, our favorite season should be winter, but hey, we can’t help what we can’t help.  Oh, that was hard. So many to choose from. We’ve all come down with a critically dangerous case of cabin fever this week, and naming off the delights we’re anticipating come June, July, and August, eases the symptoms of the disease.
Here’s what we came up with:


* Watermelon with salt. Shake your heads if you wish. Grandpa taught us to enjoy it this way.





 


* Bare feet. Ah, delicious the thought! Shoes (especially snow boots) are feeling more and more cumbersome these days, and the callouses on our feet are becoming dangerously soft, due to prolonged protection from rocks, sticks, and the like. 
* The smell of freshly cut hay. If you’ve never smelled it before, I recommend that you take a drive out to some nice dairy farm on an afternoon in June and take a deep breath. I promise that, unless you’re allergic to hay, you’ll be hooked for life.
P.S. If you happen to smell a little manure as well, it won’t kill you. 
* Volleyball. Although competition waxes brutally aggressive after three or four serves, we try to survive a game or two every night, despite ferocious mosquitos and neglected gardens.





 * Peaches. Oh. Paroxysms of ecstasy accompany the thought. There is nothing in the world that tastes quite like a fresh ripe peach—not too hard, not too soft, just . . . well, “just right”. Don’t you were you were biting into one right now?








* Playing hide-and-seek in the cornfield behind our house. Okay, I don’t do it as much as I did when I was younger, but it’s still fun to watch the littles do it. What kid wouldn’t love playing hide-and-seek in a twelve-acre field of seven-foot-tall corn? Especially at dusk?

P.S. The kiddos in our family are . . . a little different, shall we say. They still do outdated and boring stuff like that for fun instead of texting and playing Wii.




* Northwood lakes. That sentence deserves to be typed in caps. Hiking around them, canoeing in them, fishing in them, swimming in them until your fingertips resemble colorless raisins, and just sitting in front of them (wearing gallons of mosquito spray) admiring the reflection in the water.
And . . .  I could go on forever and waste hours of valuable time, but I will conclude the list at that and go find out if it has stopped snowing yet. . .
 In Christ,


Southern folks, if you happen to stumble upon these thoughts: Be thankful for warm temperatures and sunny skies. We fight a battle with covetousness when we think of them.
And, a word with my fellow Northerners: don’t lose hope, keep your chins up, and exercise patience. Good things come to those who wait. J





                                           

11 comments:

  1. I loved this post Hannah! I totally agree with you and the peaches sound so good right now.:)
    Oh I can't wait for summer! I do enjoy winter though.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Spring is in the air . . . somewhere, I guess. Just not in our air. I caved in and wore a summer shirt today even though it's only in the forties.:)

      Delete
    2. :) The other day I went and got all my Summer clothes out and put my winter ones up (well most of them). The forties feels good though after having it in the twenties for a while though.:)

      Delete
    3. Yes!! Just wait til we are in the seventies! *sigh*

      Delete
  2. This southern girl sure is enjoying the beautiful warm Spring weather! Some of my favorites are fresh strawberries, spring planting, bare feet, a family walk and picnics at the park, the smell of flowers and honey carried by a beautiful warm breeze… and so much more! But I never mind a few days of playing in the snow… so enjoy it for us, while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, all of those sound so wonderful! Summer is so full of brief, sweet little surprises!
      As for the snow. . . we've finally been getting a little rain, so the snow is rapidly disappearing into the ground. Cheers! By the time you all come up here things should be green . . . we hope!
      So happy you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Spring is popping it's friendly head out here it seems. :) I do love the smell of fresh cut hay. The hay farm that I worked at last summer is closed, unfortunately. :( Maybe Brian will have some hay to do. :) Bare feet is definitely one of my favorite things about summer! Today and yesterday it was warm enough to work outside in a T-shirt as long as I was moving. What was it like at y'all's place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're holding on, I guess. Wednesday was nippy; a little too much breeze for comfort! T-shirts sound so good! Brian & Kathryn did 4000 something bales last summer if I'm correct, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has something you can help out with.

      Delete
  4. You have such a beautiful, delightful blog!! It is so wonderful to find your blog. I look forward to all of these summery things to come... what a sweet feel this post has.

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment- it was such a blessing to read, and I'm glad you left it so I could find your blog, too :) I look forward to your future posts.

    Blessings to you!
    ~Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Tennessee and the weather here is great! Hope y'all's weather improves. :) I love peaches, watermelon, the smell of hay, and playing in cornfields, too! :) My brothers and I used to run races in between the rows of corn to see who could get to the other end of the cornfield first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Bits of Simplicity:) Please feel free to leave a comment... I am always delighted to hear from anyone! Only please keep "your speech with grace." Thank you again for visiting!
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡♡