via
In the words of Katherine Mortimer, the heroine hailing from Elizabeth Prentiss' Stepping Heavenward, “the weather is getting perfectly delicious.” Delicious: meaning that the balmy warmth we've been soaking up is so sweet that you feel like slurping it up with your tongue and expecting it to taste like nectar.Or maybe like rhubarb pie, I guess. Something deliciously sweet, sticky, and springy, if “spring-y” is a word.
While at the home of some of our dearest friends a couple Sundays ago, we were treated to one of the most delicious desserts we’ve enjoyed in a coon’s age. To borrow another of Daddy’s expressions. I’ve been vaguely familiar with rhubarb in the past, having tasted it occasionally in a pie or a cake, usually mixed with strawberries or some other ingredient that diluted the tang.
I can’t remember another time when I actually enjoyed it on its own, and perhaps I’ve graduated to the purist stage that insists on devouring its favorite food unaltered by extras.
We finally got around to fixing a pie of our own this past week, and while the recipe required an amount of sugar that made me fear for my waistline, I think my brothers must’ve been all right with it, for they promptly cleaned out half of it in twenty minutes.
While at the home of some of our dearest friends a couple Sundays ago, we were treated to one of the most delicious desserts we’ve enjoyed in a coon’s age. To borrow another of Daddy’s expressions. I’ve been vaguely familiar with rhubarb in the past, having tasted it occasionally in a pie or a cake, usually mixed with strawberries or some other ingredient that diluted the tang.
I can’t remember another time when I actually enjoyed it on its own, and perhaps I’ve graduated to the purist stage that insists on devouring its favorite food unaltered by extras.
We finally got around to fixing a pie of our own this past week, and while the recipe required an amount of sugar that made me fear for my waistline, I think my brothers must’ve been all right with it, for they promptly cleaned out half of it in twenty minutes.
And honestly, if you’re a family cook, that should mean success, shouldn’t it? There’ve been plenty of instances when I’ve tried to discourage my four brothers from being too unrestrained in their consumption of my cooking, but it’s to my shame, not theirs.
After all, that’s what it’s for.
So one of the kiddos let impatience have her imperfect work and nibbled a chunk of the crust off.
Excuse it.
Excuse it.
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 cups rhubarb, cubed
1 pinch cinnamon
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 9 inch pastry crust
Roll out pie crust and fit it into a 9 inch pie plate. Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and cinnamon; add rhubarb and stir until combined. Pour into pie shell. Top with:
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
Combine and sprinkle over rhubarb filling.
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes; cool for an hour before serving.
The sunshine beckons, and I must retreat. There’s a beautiful world waiting outside. Take a deep breath and thank God for it. That’s what I need to do, too. There’s not a gift He gave us to be taken for granted.
Oh, and the local flora has at long last, exploded into bloom! Just stepping onto the front porch and taking a deep, long breath can fill one's head with visions of (well, not sugarplums) *sweet things* J
We finally got pictures for the album cover (when and if it happens to be completed, haha) Thanks to our brothers for being willing photographers; even if Matthew was trying to drive us crazy the whole time. Sorry, brother dear; we all laughed about it afterwards, if I recall correctly.
I guess the bottom pic proves that he accomplished his mission. (jk) Actually, we were just kinda havin' fun.:)
Blessings,





.jpg)

Oh Hannah that pie looks so good! I have to try that sometime. Amos loves rhubarb pie and this recipe sound much better then the one we use.:) Can't wait to try it.:)
ReplyDeleteI think at one time you all brought something to a fellowship dinner made with rhubarb (I think) and it was yummy! I love how it cooks out pink~ so spring-like.:)
DeleteMmmmmm… that pie looks delicious Hannah! And those are lovely pictures of your beautiful Spring. My mom grew up eating Rhubarb pie and Rhubarb Crisp, but we've not made much with Rhubarb at all. Ah, I *love* to bake though… maybe I'll try my hand at it again, in the not so-distant future! :-)
ReplyDeleteRhubarb crisp sounds delicious Sarah! I've seen pictures on your Etsy shop of some of the things you've baked, and they look wonderful!
Delete1.Zachary enjoyed the tang,when he sampled it raw the other day:I think he really did! 2.Nibble? I guess, but that nibble looks like its from someone with huge teeth! 3.Finally, did a picture pass? Telephone lines back lighting,.........Sorry, a interesting post. I hope summer will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think I remember her mentioning it to me at some point last Sunday, and it sounded scrumptious.
DeleteThat last picture was actually taken in our apple orchard. And, yes, we've got a title picked out~ I think it's going to be "To God Be The Glory." I'm not sure about subtitles though.:)
What a beautiful post, Hannah! You write ever so nicely and that pie looks simply amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love the photographs of you ladies with your instruments - what pleasant times you must have together:-)
Much love,
Kelly-Anne
Thank you Kelly-Anne! Do you play an instrument of any sort?
DeleteHannah,
ReplyDeleteI agree this spring weather is "delicious"! Your pie looks delicious too. : ) The photos of you and your sisters are lovely.
-Sarah
What a lovely blog I have been able to come and enjoy!! Thank you for your very kind comment on my blog, and I'm so glad to have met (in blogging world)!
ReplyDeleteThe rhubarb pie looks lovely! We have a rhubarb plant here, but it grows so quickly that we can't use it up nearly as fast, now that it usually belongs in desserts. But I did mean to make rhubarb bread - maybe a little healthier while still using rhubarb.
Also your cover pictures look great, is there a place where I can go to hear your music?
We haven't actually published any music yet, (we're still recording and mixing:) But hopefully we can post some too!
DeleteThank you for your sweet comment!:)
Hannah, I just LOVE your photography! So pretty! Thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteI've never had rhubarb pie, and I think I would like to try it. :) I'll have to make it sometime. Love the pictures. I would love to learn a stringed instrument, preferably the violin.
ReplyDeleteBtw, I love "Stepping Heavenward". :)
Love in Christ,
Kaitlyn S.
Congratulation, Hannah! You won the book giveaway! Come on over and leave me your mailing address and I'll send them out right away! Thanks for playing and sharing the book news! Terri
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Terri!
DeleteThis recipe looks very delicious I can't wait to try it out... few and simple ingredients :) oh can I mention again ...I love your dresses and your friends... the scenery looks so wonderful, stunning photos. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Thanks, Laura!
DeleteI tried this pie today and we all loved it! Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you write. :) Your blog is wonderful, Hannah, and this post was great.
ReplyDeleteMake sure to let your taste buds relish that pie a little extra than usual, and count it as having given me a taste. ♥